Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The ICE CREAM TRUCK is here!!


Yet another afternoon stuck at home with nothing to do, nothing to eat, and nowhere to go. So what do I do? Sleep. Suddenly a very familiar sound wakes me up. A sound I have not heard in almost a year now because I have been attending school in Long Beach. It was the music from the ice cream truck. I am sure everyone has felt the joy of hearing the music of the truck or at least have seen it in the movies. The first thing that came to my mind was, where is my money? The second was, what do I buy? My usual was either the Neapolitan ice cream sandwich or hot cheetos covered in warm nacho cheese. With my money in my hand and the sweet sound in my ear, I stand in the line and get the nacho cheese covered cheetos. With the warm bag in one hand and spoon in the other, I eat it within a few minutes and almost immediately have the craving for more.
There are ice cream trucks everywhere in Los Angeles. Every block has its own truck. Our block in particular has, from what I recall, three different trucks. Almost anything can be bought from the truck: chips, nachos, toys, and of course, ice cream. The ice cream sundaes are surprisingly good, and the toys are not the best thing to play with as a child but could entertain them for days. Toys like toy guns, laser pointers, and playing cards are just some of what I used to get as an elementary student.
While attending Cal State Long Beach, I have not seen one ice cream truck there. It would be nice to have a cone of ice cream between classes or after finishing some homework. I guess that is why Foster’s Freeze is in school and Ralphs is only a few blocks from our apartment. Although it is a good substitute, it lacks the variety of flavors and the cheap price. Plus, it lacks my personal favorites, the Neapolitan ice cream sandwich and the nacho cheese covered cheetos.

1 comment:

  1. I can not forget about the ice cream truck on my block when I was young. The ice cream truck always carried something good with them. Not only selling just ice creams, but also they had many little toys that I always begged for my mom. When you said laser points, I was thinking when I was young. I always brought them to school and used them on my friends’ eyes. I wish I can see them again so I will buy some more ice creams and other little toys. I miss the ice cream truck song. I hope that it comes on CSULB campus!

    ReplyDelete